For the background of this blog, please go here.
Other threads at this blog:
The CCP&J's Myths About Iraq & Bush - Debunked
The CCP&J's Myths About Jefferson And War - Debunked
Update for Tuesday, July 1:
To attend the event:
The Thomas Jefferson Foundation, which owns Monticello, will be distributing 1,000 free tickets to the event, starting at 7:00am on Wednesday, July 2, at the Monticello Visitor Center. See the news article here, and please pay attention to the security protocols and restricted items.
From reader emails - keep them coming!
- On Monday, this blog was mentioned on both WCHV's and WINA's talk shows, and they may have provided link-backs on their sites.
- David Swanson of the CCP&J, and author of the missives cited in this blog, appeared on WVIR (NBC affiliate). According to the source, he presented himself as the epitomal patriot, who is planning to merely exercise his Constitutionally-recognized right to protest - but didn't happen to use any of the inflammatory rhetoric he employs on the CCP&J blog. Apparently, the WVIR reporter bought it all without question, and without challenging him on his (actual) rhetoric, or the CCP&J's (actual) background and affiliations.
- The CCP&J website now contains more hate-filled rants, and even a flyer with details of their planned protest - see here.
- There are now indications that protesters may attempt to shut down Route 53, the road leading to Monticello. So much for "peace" protesters. But then, they surrendered that title when they began openly discussing whether they should prevent Bush (an invited guest) from speaking, on property they don't own, weren't invited to, and have no role in.
- A lively discussion of this controversy is taking place in the blog section of the CvilleNews website, here. It is refreshing to see that some Democrats and leftists see that what the CCP&J is planning/insinuating is congruent neither with Jefferson's principles, or the rules of civility.
Plans being considered for a counter-demonstration
Not much to report yet, just ideas being tossed around. But for those who are thinking about it, keep in mind that no matter how incendiary and provably false the opposition's rhetoric is, please keep it civil and respectful. The other side thrives on ignoring laws, property rights, facts and basic civility; we thrive on the opposite.
Keep the info coming, folks.