Since the debut of this blog on Saturday, June 28, and especially since the ceremonies at Monticello on July 4, quite a few readers have sent in questions, some of which are similar in nature.
Below is a sampling of these questions, and the blog’s responses.
Are you being paid by Bush, the RNC or any other group?
No. This is purely a project of passion and necessity. Not a cent has been paid to or requested by this blog, to do what it has done, is doing, and will continue to do.
Why did you name the blog “Welcome To Charlottesville, President Bush”?
The blog was created in response to a public statement by a board member of the Charlottesville Center for Peace & Justice (CCP&J), David Swanson, who urged others to disrupt the Monticello ceremonies (here), on the basis of a slew of misrepresentations and propaganda aimed at President Bush, and even Thomas Jefferson. Soon thereafter, Mr. Swanson said he was doing this “to let people know that Bush is not welcome at Monticello… or in Charlottesville” (here).
Despite the CCP&J’s denial that Mr. Swanson is on its board, or speaks for the group on an official basis, it not only didn't take his incendiary posts off the front page of its blog, it allowed him to continue posting them (here).
Therefore, naming this blog was a no-brainer.
How can you defend Bush, who’s hated by so many Americans, and so much of the world? Are you some kind of sycophant?
That's an easy one. Given the alternatives that the Democrats put up in 2000 and 2004, the choice for me – and a little more than half of your fellow citizens who chose to vote (at least in 2004) – was easy.
Actually, I have lots of disagreements with the Bush administration.
Mostly, I am upset that he has grown the size and spending of the federal government more than any president since LBJ and his “Great Society,” and that he has not fought back against the lies and smears against him, and the U.S. military – forcefully, consistently and articulately. This is a huge factor in why he and his administration are so “hated” – because the lies and propaganda that the Democrats and their fringe left base have employed have been met with practically no response.
But the one area in which I have no choice but to support him is in his response to the war that Islamist theocratic totalitarians have declared on America. Although not without its missteps (as are evidenced in all wars), he has taken the fight to our enemies, and via the surge strategy – which John McCain advocated since early on – we are winning, and will win this war (provided we do not elect a president whose first mission will be to surrender Iraq to our enemies).
Why are you doing this anonymously?
The creation of this blog was a very spur-of-the-moment decision, primarily to respond to the CCP&J and its facilitation of David Swanson’s incendiary propaganda, starting on June 27, 2008.
The first priority was to research the issues and provide factual responses and insights, particularly to forward to the local news media regarding the disruptions being planned and justified at the Monticello ceremonies on July 4 (which, in the end, the news media chose to all but totally ignore). In the end, I and those who contribute to this blog made the decision to let our words, and the facts, speak for themselves, independent of personality-type distractions.
This decision allows us to speak freely, and without in any way compromising or causing conflict in our workplaces, or in social settings. In short, I and the people behind this blog may well be who you pass every day in the supermarket, and who you work with… just ordinary Americans who want to make their voices known, in our own way. This decision should in no way diminish the validity of the facts and opinions that I, and we, present in this forum.
I love what you’re doing. What can I do to help?
Thank you. Here are five things you can do:
- Forward this blog to your friends.
- Post comments on the bottom of blog threads, or send in letters to email@example.com. Be polite, factual, passionate and as concise as possible. The best of these letters will be published here.
- Send your thoughts on this matter to the local news media. We are compiling a list of contacts, email addresses, etc., to be posted soon. Public pressure apparently is the only thing that will cause them to question, and finally stop, their continual use of the term "peace activists" to describe local leftist anarchists, who represent the communist-socialist ideology, and who disrupted the Monticello ceremonies. Their words, and their actions at Monticello on July 4, totally dismantle this misnomer. It is up to us, individually and collectively, to let the local news media know of our displeasure with their continual willingness to act as shills for those who are after anything but peace (more here and here).
- If you know any veterans or veterans groups, forward to them the links containing the incendiary, lie-filled accusations published at the CCP&J and at David Swanson’s websites against our political leadership, our military and their actions, so that they may respond. We are doing so, and the response so far has been fantastic. Look for a compilation of their responses on this blog in the very near future.
- Whenever possible, organize and participate in (peaceful) demonstrations and counter-demonstrations, to let the local leftist anarchists know that their lies and propaganda will not go unanswered. We already know that the local news media will not (yet) challenge or debunk anything they say; therefore, it's up to us to do so. In particular, ask any veterans you know to participate in these events.